Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Illustrious Top Five

Okay, I know. I am pretty damn horrible at keeping blogs updates. If you don't believe me, just look at Bar Flies Like the Wind. It's an embarrassment. So, with the hopes of breathing a little bit of life into this blog, I will currently give you the "Illustrious Top Five" which is a moderately frequently changing lists of bands I'd really like to see live. If you read the first post on this blog (which you can by scrolling down just a hair) you can assess that Explosions in the Sky is on the list. The Pixies were on the list, but I saw them back in November at the Fox. Motion City Soundtrack was briefly on the list, but fortunately I saw them in February at the Regency. I just saw Silversun Pickups at BFD the other day, and will be seeing them again at the Fox in August. A lot of bands have come and gone from the list, but there are still a handful of bands out there at the moment who I'd clear some calendar space for almost no matter what should they land somewhere in the Bay Area for a show that didn't cost a stupid amount of money.

My parameters are simply that in order to make the list, bands must still be together and active. Hiatus moments are okay, as long as there is still promise of the band continuing to tour and record. This means that bands reuniting could usurp some of these spots (Beulah, I'm looking in your direction), but as of the here-and-now, these are the active bands who could theoretically play a show that I'd be super-excited to see.



1) Pearl Jam - Yeah, go ahead. Judge me. You know you want to. Yeah, they're not the rollicking crazy showmen that they once were, but dammit, I've been trying to see this band since I was in like the eighth grade, and I have yet to make it happen. But someday I will, dammit.

2) Explosions in the Sky - In all fairness to me, they haven't really come anywhere near San Francisco since I got into them, and there are promises of a new album and ensuing tour coming next year. In the meantime I'll continue to barter my pinkie toe.

3) Interpol - An interesting choice, I know, but I have heard from numerous people that their live shows are supposed to be just fantastic. Plus, I am just a flat-out fan of their music, so I'd like to get the firsthand experience.

4) Death Cab for Cutie - I'm still kicking myself for missing them at the Greek Theater with Ra Ra Riot a few years back. Hopefully Ben Gibbard doesn't disappear in marital bliss with madame Zooey before I get a chance to catch these guys live. Plus, Chris Walla is awesome, and I'd love to see him do his thing firsthand.

5) Bloc Party - Nothing they will do will likely hold a candle to "Silent Alarm", and talk of some amount of discord in the band makes me nervous about this one, but I hold out hopes that I can see them before too long. And no, seeing Kele Okereke solo won't count.

Honorable mentions include Ra Ra Riot (see! I really could have killed two birds with one stone on that one), Arcade Fire, and The National.

No comments:

Post a Comment